Sunday, March 17, 2013

Hawaiian trunks # 2


Ta-Dah!!!!
Here is it, the hibiscus flower sample!



What do you think?
I think it looks pretty good, a promising start... True, the colours aren’t the best to display the design to its full potential. I used some left over wool here, but of course when I’ll knit the actual shorts I’ll be using some white or other light/pastel tone to contrast on a bright and darker main colour.

And I’ll be using cotton, not wool. I always pictured cotton or a cotton blend to do this project. It just seems the right material for a pair of shorts to be worn in hot hot summers.
Also on Friday afternoon, as I was finishing my sample, I have heard a couple of times this : “but, if you go into the water with these knitted trunks, won’t they shrink?”. I reflected about that a little. And I came to the conclusion that you would need to swim (quite erratically too) in a sea water that is 30°C or more for that to happen.  And even for my nephew on his island in the tropics, for whom these shorts are intended, the ocean doesn’t really get that hot. Correct me if I’m wrong...

Right, now I need to work on polishing and adding a couple of leaves and details to this hibiscus chart. And start the other chart, the one for the sunset with palm trees. This is all quite challenging but very exciting! I shall have these draft drawings ready to show really soon!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sample is too lovely to NOT do something with...maybe a book cover?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!
    Mmmmmh, I could do something with that sample yes... Maybe a plant pot cover, since it's knitted in the round?
    (I have other plans for book/kindle cover... hee hee hee...)

    ReplyDelete